JOB DESCRIPTION: DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN'S MINISTRY
Position: Director of Children's Ministry
Job Description: Responsible for the development and oversight of ministry to children from birth - 6th grade in accordance with the mission, vision, and goals of the church. Currently, our Children's Ministry serves approx. 35-45 children. Position reports directly to the Lead Pastor.
Time Commitment: 20-30 hours/wk. Core programs take place on Sunday mornings.
Compensation: $13-17/hr., depending on education and experience
Qualifications: 2+ years of experience in children's ministry, teaching, administration, and/or management. The ideal candidate will possess a godly character, have superior people skills, and be adept at building and motivating teams. He or she must be a good communicator, well-organized, and self-motivated. Seminary training is an asset, but not required.
SUMMARY OF CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Oversight of Children's Ministry Programs. The Director of Children's Ministry will oversee our weekend children's programs for children in 6th grade and under. These programs include:
a. Kids Worship Service and Small Groups (Preschool - 6th grade)
b. Sunday School (Preschool - 6th grade).
c. Nursery Care (0-3 yrs.)
2. Outreach and Evangelism. The Director of Children's Ministry will model and train others in our philosophy of building relationships with unchurched people in the hopes of leading them into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. Specifically, the Director will:
a. Build relationships with families and students of our preschool (Monterey Park Christian School) and help them integrate into the community and ministry of Trinity Church.
b. Design and oversee 3-4 outreach events per year aimed at young children and their families, such as Harvest Festival, Vacation Bible School, etc.
c. Develop outreach to local elementary schools as time permits.
3. Volunteer Supervision and Development. It takes a village to raise a child. The Director of Children will create a loving, safe environment for children to grow in faith by:
a. Recruiting, equipping, and managing a team of dedicated volunteers who love kids and are able to mentor them spiritually, both one-on-one and in small groups.
b. Performing screening of potential children's workers, conducting background checks, and providing both formal and informal performance feedback and reviews.
4. Additional Duties: The Director of Children's Ministry will also be required to:
a. Provide pastoral care to children and their families as appropriate.
b. Attend all required staff and ministry team meetings.
c. Develop and distribute an annual children's ministry calendar.
d. Develop and manage the annual budget for Children's Ministries.
e. Ensure timely, effective communication of all Children's Ministry activities with staff, parents, volunteers, and children.
f. Attend occasional workshops and conferences to stay informed about current best practices in children's ministry and share these insights with the church.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. Mature Christian faith, practice, and character.
2. College-level education. Seminary experience an asset.
3. At least 2 years of experience in children's ministry, teaching, and/or management.
4. Ability to disciple children towards a deeper relationship with Christ.
5. Strong communication and teaching skills, both oral and written.
6. Ability to recruit, motivate, manage, and lead teams of volunteers.
7. Ability to work well with diverse cultures.
8. Able to relate well to parents of young children and inspire them to serve in ministry.
9. Superior conflict resolution skills. Able to stay calm and flexible under pressure.
1. Must be willing to commit to Trinity Church's statement of faith, values, practices, and philosophy of ministry.
2. If married, candidate's spouse must fully support his or her employment with our church.
3. Candidates must provide positive and unconditional written recommendation from each of the following people: 1) a pastor or spiritual leader, 2) an employer, present or past, and 3) a friend or family member other than a spouse. (Please see the application packet for copies of the recommendation forms to be completed.)
1. Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Trinity Church of the Nazarene
1951 S. Garfield Ave.
Monterey Park, CA 91754