Regester Chapel United Methodist Church
Category: Worship Leader
Purpose. The purpose of the Director of Music Ministry is to help musicians and the congregation grow as disciples of Jesus Christ through worship and music.
Position Summary. The Director of Music Ministry shall be under the general direction of the Staff-Parish Relations Committee (SPRC), in coordination with the Worship Committee Chair, the Director of Children's Music Ministry, the Contemporary Worship Leader, and the Pastor. Day-to-day supervision will be provided by the Pastor. The Director of Music Ministry shall plan and direct the music of the adult Chancel Choir, the Orchestra, and the Bell Choir. The Director of Music Ministry shall also be responsible for the proper custody and maintenance of church property relating to these Choirs. This is a part-time position.
General Qualifications. A Bachelor's Degree in Music is preferred, with previous experience in music performance and direction. Must have knowledge and experience in the function of music in a traditional worship setting. This position also requires practical communication and relationship building skills. The Director of Music Ministry shall also have knowledge of copyright laws relating to music materials use and presentation.
Duties and Responsibilities. The Director of Music Ministry shall:
1. 1. Plan and maintain a comprehensive music program for the Chancel Choir, the Orchestra, and Bell choirs including the following duties:
* a. Recruit persons to sing and play in the respective choirs
* b. Meet regularly with the Pastor to select and provide music for the traditional service, planning and scheduling well in advance
* c. At the request of the Pastor, provide choral programs for special events, including the special events related to the Church Calendar. The Director of Music Ministry shall be the lead music director for these special events.
* d. Conduct choral musical activities approved by the Pastor and the Worship Committee including occasionally leading the congregational singing during the worship service
* e. Participate in community ecumenical choral activities as approved and encouraged by the Pastor and the SPRC
1. 2. Rehearse, instruct, and direct the choirs in presenting music during the traditional worship service. It is anticipated that the Chancel Choir, the Orchestra and/or the Bell Choir will prepare and present music each Sunday.
2. 3. Provide proper custody and maintenance of property of the church relating to the Chancel and Bell Choir programs, including the following:
* a. Supervision of the purchase, cleaning and storage of choir robes and related materials.
* b. Supervision and maintenance of a library of religious music for these choirs
* c. Supervision and maintenance of Orff Instruments
1. 4. Provide input and assist the SPRC selection of assistants or substitutes to the Director of Music Ministry when the need arises
2. 5. Assist the accompanist in selecting a temporary substitute when the need arises
3. 6. Meet with the Pastor at least monthly and attend Worship Committee meetings
4. 7. Perform other related duties as requested by the Pastor or the Worship Committee to carry out the music program of the church
5. 8. Administer funds allotted to the traditional music program. Keep such records as may be necessary to account for expenditures
6. 9. Prepare an annual budget for the traditional music program and submit this budget to the Worship Committee
7. 10. Keep current on trends in church music
8. 11. Be flexible with respect to the rehearsal schedule and coordinate the rehearsal schedule with the staff and the Pastor
9. 12. The church facilities, organ, and piano can be made available for private teaching. Times of lessons and the use of the church facilities must be scheduled in advance through the Church office to avoid conflicts
10. 13. It is expected that the number of working hours required for this position shall not exceed 15 hours per week annually
11. 14. The annual salary for this position is set at a range of $15,000-$20,000 (final salary is based on experience, skills, and education). Salary adjustments shall be determined by the Church Council after consultation with the SPRC and the Finance Committee during the annual budget cycle beginning in each calendar year.
12. 15. The incumbent shall agree to follow the provisions of the Regester Chapel Employee Manual
Director of Music Ministry ________________________ ________________
Pastor _________________________________________ ________________
Chairperson, SPRC ______________________________ ________________