St. Matthew Lutheran Church
Category: Worship Leader
Time Type: Full Time
Essential Duties and Responsibilities - duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* With oversight of the pastor, plan music for a Sunday contemporary worship service on a weekly basis. Music should be selected with the pastor's preaching scripture and theme for the week in mind, as well as blend traditional and contemporary hymns and songs. Send that list to the church secretary by Tuesday at the latest each week.
* Lead contemporary worship Sunday mornings. If absent, arrange for a substitute.
* Send the Worship Team a weekly lead sheet of music to be sung on Sunday, as well as pdf files of the music (a data base of our current repertoire is on a flash drive).
* Conduct Worship Team rehearsal weekly.
* Organize a monthly singing schedule for vocalists (at this point two singers in addition to the leader).
* Arrange music as needed for the instrumentation on the worship team any given week. Currently the instrumentation is piano and acoustic guitar every week with occasional drums, bass guitar, flute, and additional acoustic guitar.
* Recruit other musicians to join the group, either as a permanent or rotating part of the Worship Team.
* Arrange for special music as desired, including, but not limited to vocal solos, instrumental solos or groups, small vocal groups, additional instrumentalists.
* Assist the Head Organist in organizing and participating in special seasonal Lenten and Advent mid-week services. Plan the Christmas Eve candle light service, and the contemporary Easter service with special music appropriate for each season.
* Maintain a music library (both lyrics and sheet music) of songs sung and search for appropriate new music to add to the repertoire. Use the church account for CCLI Song Select, as well as other on line or print sources, to find sheet music and chord charts.
* Track music use according to the terms of our CCLI license, usually a six month period every three years.
* Meet weekly with the pastor.
* Beginning where we are, assess the needs of the children and youth of this congregation.
* Plan, organize, and implement a Sunday school program for the ages we currently have attending regularly.
* Train additional teachers as necessary to teach the Sunday school classes weekly.
* Provide special activities for families and/or youth once a quarter.
* Build a team of adult mentors/helpers for the children and youth activities.
* Be available to our kids - attend sports events, music concerts, drama presentations, etc.
* Provide a Children's Message during the 10:30 service twice a month.
* Direct VBS each summer.
* Encourage participation in Mt. Cross Summer Camp and assist with fundraising.
* Promote other opportunities to gather with other youth at concerts or retreats.
* Meet weekly with the pastor.
Requirements - required knowledge, skills, and abilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
* leadership skills and experience
* skilled as a music/worship team director, with a familiarity and appreciation for all types and genres of sacred music
* proficient in the guitar or other musical instrument, as well as the capability of being a lead vocalist
* detail oriented and capable of coordinating high quality worship services
* able to create an atmosphere through music that is consistent with the spiritual theme for any given week and enhances the congregation's worship experience
* flexible and capable of working effectively both independently and as part of a team with members of the staff, worship team, congregation, and the general public
* able to establish a positive rapport with children and their parents
* exhibits a high level of interpersonal and communication skills