St. John's Presbyterian Church
Category: Children's Ministry
Time Type: Full Time
Accountable To: Pastor/Head of Staff, Growing in Faith Commission of Session
Works in coordination with: Student and Youth Ministries Team, Director of Student and Youth Ministries
1. Develop and lead a program for children from infants through 6th grade age and their families, with a goal to facilitate and encourage the children to make a faith commitment to Jesus Christ and to nurture that commitment.
..........a. Oversee the development and implementation of a Sunday School program with the assistance of adult and student volunteers.
.....b. Coordinate and direct midweek children's programs, including
..........i. Annual Summer Vacation Bible School
..........ii. Fall and Spring mid-week evening children's program
..........iii. Children's participation in major church events throughout the year.
.....c. Deliver bi-monthly Children's Sermons as a part of the main worship service.
.....d. Coordinate special events for families, focused on building fellowship, service and spiritual growth, including participation in biennial whole church retreats.
2. Establish and maintain a Ministry to parents that provides outreach and connection through activities such as: discussion forums, support groups, parent meetings, etc.
3. Recruit, equip, nurture and lead a volunteer Children and Family Ministries Support Team:
.....a. Involve and empower appropriately gifted adult believers in a ministry of acceptance, relationship building, and modeling that reflects Jesus' life and example.
.....b. Provide training for volunteers, promote and develop team unity, and ensure appropriate standards of behavior.
.....c. Maintain regular communication with leaders via email or texting regarding Sunday itinerary, upcoming events, special needs, and other issues.
4. Coordinate and cooperate with other church staff and church lay leadership in order to proactively integrate Children and Family Ministries with the rest of the church.
5. Collaborate with the Director of Student and Youth Ministries:
.....a. Support "Tweens" activities designed for 5th and 6th grade students to facilitate their transition into Youth Program.
.....b. Create opportunities for youth group students to volunteer in the Children's Ministries (e.g. VBS, Sunday School, midweek programs, etc.)
.....c. Minister to families with older and younger children
6. Act as liaison with the Nursery School Director to support children's spiritual development, manage shared facilities, and outreach to Nursery School families.
7. Communicate with the Church family about program activities and topics through email, church newsletters, online church calendars, other social media and Sunday church service bulletins, as needed.
8. Develop new programs and events to increase outreach and support to families in the surrounding community, and strengthen the outreach components of existing programs.
9. Maintain a vital personal relationship of faith and discipleship with Jesus Christ and stay abreast of the current thinking and practice in Children and Family Ministries by attending relevant professional development conferences and reading current books on the subject.