POSITION TITLE: Director of Children’s Ministry
REPORTS TO: Director of Grow Ministries
DIRECT REPORTS: Child Care Coordinator
POSITION STATUS: Part Time (20 hours a week)
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
I acknowledge that I am part of a team at Virginia Beach United Methodist Church that is seeking to equip people to live with passion, power and purpose through our faith in Jesus Christ. I am an integral part of how that vision is expressed through my attitude, my service, and my daily tasks. I will complete my ministry duties in such a way that helps others at VBUMC to deepen passion through prayer and worship, develop power through study and small group involvement, and demonstrate purpose through giving, serving and faith sharing.
This position provides staff leadership in the spiritual foundation of children (Birth – 5th Grade) to meet the VBUMC mission. Builds teams of volunteers and designs systems that allow us to create environments and experiences to facilitate the spiritual and character formation of children. This may include, but is not limited to: Sunday morning experience (Sunday School), fellowship events, vacation bible school, church-wide special events, and outreach ministries. Also works with the Ministry Director Team to help integrate children’s experiences into the overall life of the Church.
• Recruit, train, equip, and support volunteers to create experiences and environments that facilitate spiritual and character formation of children through Sunday School and small group educational and worship experiences.
• Serve as the initial source of information and welcome to new families with children.
• Provide administrative support for children’s ministry opportunities including ordering supplies, establishing curriculum, and purchasing equipment as needed.
• May plan, recruit and support volunteers in preparation for seasonal events including Family Christmas Eve Service, Easter, and Vacation Bible School.
• Provide general oversight and supervision of Child Care Coordinator.
• Prepare an annual budget for children’s ministries and work with Executive Director and Grow Ministries Director to monitor needs and expenditures within Children’s ministries.
• Track and analyze ministry data as basis for future planning.
• May attend continuing education events to further knowledge in developing and leading children’s ministries.
• May serve on a variety of VBUMC leadership groups and participate in planning special congregational events.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• Experience working or volunteering in a faith based community with children.
• Deeply committed Christian who reflects a lifestyle that honors God and displays evidence of personal spiritual growth.
• Demonstrates integrity in professional and personal interactions.
• Demonstrates excellent stewardship of financial resources.
• Strong organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to recruit and equip volunteers within the congregation and collaborate in the development of the ministry.
• Works effectively with the Senior Pastor, Executive Director, Director of Grow Ministries as well as other staff in order to demonstrate effective team planning and ministry implementation.
• Able to prioritize time and manage multiple projects.
• Eager to learn and willing to participate in professional development and keeps other staff informed of development opportunities.
• Demonstrates ability to build teams and design systems.
• Reflects constructive problem-solving skills along with interpersonal skills for conflict resolution.
If interested, please submit your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.