First Presbyterian Church San Mateo
Category: Other Ministry Jobs & Christian
Time Type: Part Time
First Presbyterian Church San Mateo (FPCSM)
194 25th Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94403
Director of Early Childhood Education
Status: Part-time (20 hours per week)
General Purpose of Position:
The purpose of the Director of Early Childhood Education (DECE) is to provide vision and leadership in support of FPCSM's mission to honor God by helping children and their families become fully-devoted followers of Jesus.
The DECE works in partnership with the Director of Elementary Children's Ministry (DECM) as a member of the Children's Ministry Team (CMT).
Supervision and Accountability:
The DECE reports directly to the Senior Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance and is ultimately accountable to the Human Resources Team.
Role and Responsibilities:
* Establish a clear vision for Early Childhood Education at FPCSM. Plan, develop, and implement and manage a vibrant and comprehensive ministry for young children.
* Serve as an advocate, role model, spiritual mentor, and encourager providing pastoral care to children, their families and ministry volunteers.
* Pray weekly for children, families and ministry volunteers.
* Ensure a safe environment for children – physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Address equipment issues and/or unsafe practices.
* Responsible for Sunday morning programs for infants through kindergarten age children. Recruit, train and supervise team members, plan, organize, implement, support and oversee all aspects of the Sunday morning programs, including Nursery and Toddler Room Coordinators and caregivers.
* Responsible for Little Sprouts program on Friday mornings. Recruit, train and supervise team members. Plan, organize, implement, support and oversee all aspects of the program.
* Assist with the planning and implementation of Children's Ministry programs including Vacation Bible Camp, Family Sacraments Class, and other programs as determined by the CM team.
* Handle administrative tasks associated with ECE programs such as creating and maintaining website, publicity, communications, social media (e.g. Facebook), registration lists, budget tracking and reporting, responding to requests, organizing details for events, maintaining supplies and classrooms, reviewing curriculum, etc.
* As a member of the Children's Ministry Team:
* Identify and implement new opportunities for outreach and spiritual growth for children.
* Create and implement meaningful ways to assist and equip parents as primary leaders in the development of their children into fully-devoted followers of Christ.
* Communicate with and include parents as an integral part of the ECE program. Consult periodically with parents to discuss aims, policies, and practices of ECE and discover their expectations, concerns and suggestions.
* Participate in decision making with regards to curriculum, program implementation and evaluation.
* Develop system to welcome and follow-up with new visitors
* Attend Sunday morning worship at FPCSM.
* Attend regularly scheduled and specially called staff meetings, Session meetings and other meetings as directed by the Senior Pastor.
* Demonstrated love for God
* Committed to being a fully-devoted follower of Jesus.
* Passionate about children's ministry.
* Has a clear vision for Early Childhood Education programs and has a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, implement, and manage a successful program.
* Self-motivated and enthusiastic team member.
* Good organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and be flexible
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* College degree in Early Childhood Education or a related field (ministry, education, leadership, etc.)
* Minimum 2 years ministry experience in children's ministry or a related field. Prefer experience with recruiting, managing and training volunteers, managing a classroom or children's activity.
* Able to maintain confidentiality and present one's self professionally at all times.
* Spanish or Mandarin language skills a plus.
* Computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office, internet, and email.
* 20 hours/week; $20/hour;52 weeks/year
* Attendance required as follows:
o Weekly church staff meeting, currently Tuesday mornings 9:00-10:45am.
o Sunday mornings from 9:00am-12:15pm.
o Friday morning Little Sprouts program 8:30am-1:00pm, plus two hours (approx.) for setup
o Vacation Bible Camp (VBC) - Currently one week each summer, generally in the month of July;
o Monthly Children's Ministry Team meeting, which is currently the second Tuesday of each month from 7:00-9:00pm.
o Remaining weekly hours (to total 20 per week) to be worked out on and agreed upon regular schedule.
Must submit to and pass background and fingerprint screening.
Benefits: Paid vacation; sick leave; health and dental insurance;