General Purpose of Position:
Serve as a spiritual leader and role model. Develop and lead a_noemailprehensive program that introduces youth to Jesus Christ and helps them b_noemaile fully-devoted followers of him through worship, discipleship, mission and outreach
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries reports directly to the Senior Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance and is ultimately accountable to the Human Resources Team.
1. Plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a_noemailprehensive youth ministry program with emphases on group-building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
2. Develop and maintain relationships with youth and their families, encouraging them in the development of their faith and service in the church.
3. Support and guide the work of the Youth Ministry Team as it sets the program's vision and goals, and evaluates the program's effectiveness.
4. Mentor youth in areas including but not limited to worship, discipleship, and leadership skills.
5. Be available to youth in a variety of ways (e.g. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.) and maintain some regularly scheduled office hours.
6. Act as an innovative developer beyond the church's historical youth programs/outreach with a measurable_noemailmitment to reach unchurched students.
7. Seek outside resources for developing the youth ministry program and participate in continuing education and other training opportunities.
8. Organize and plan activities, retreats, mission trips, and the overall youth ministry calendar.
9. Guide youth through a process leading to the confirmation of their faith.
10. Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in appropriate aspects of youth ministry.
11. Be a liaison between the church and other_noemailmunity_noemailanizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries with particular emphasis on middle schools, high schools, and colleges.
12. Provide leadership and direction with regard to a growing emphasis on young adult ministry.
13. Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
14. Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, etc.). Ensure_noemailmunication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
15. Work collaboratively and collegially with the church's staff in the pursuit of the mission of FPCSM seeking opportunities to integrate the youth program with other programs and activities of the church.
16. Under the direction of the senior pastor, participate in the worship services and other activities of the church, encouraging the youth to do likewise.
17. Attend regularly scheduled and specially called staff meetings, session meetings and other meetings as directed by the senior pastor.
18. Periodically preach and/or help lead worship on Sunday mornings as requested by the senior pastor.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
1. A bachelor's degree in a related field is a minimum requirement. Seminary or professional training and/or prior successful experience in youth ministry are desired.
2. A clear vision for youth ministry and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a successful program.
3. Highly relational; genuinely enjoys working with students, adult leaders, families, staff, and others. Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
4. Must have excellent written and verbal_noemailmunication skills, conflict management skills, and_noemailputer skills.
Commensurate with education and experience to include either housing or a housing
allowance based on final candidate's preference.
This position is 40 hours per week. By its very nature, however, it requires substantial flexibility with regard to when the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry is available for work, including evenings, weekends and extended periods of time for youth activities.
Three (3) weeks paid vacation; sick leave; health and dental insurance; mileage; hospitality allowance.