A church in North Raleigh, Soapstone United Methodist, with a dynamic and active music program is seeking a Lead Pianist and Accompanist. Approximately 12 hours per week is required.
· This individual will provide piano accompaniment and solo playing for the following:
o Two Sunday morning worship services: 8:30 am with a Praise Team and 11:00 am service with a Chancel Choir. This includes solo prelude, offertory, and postlude pieces as needed.
o Three weekly rehearsals: Chancel Choir on Wednesday evenings; Praise Team on Thursday evenings; ensemble groups on Sunday afternoons.
o Cantata rehearsals: four Saturday mornings (September – December) and four January – April for our Christmas and Easter cantatas, which we perform with orchestra
o Special services throughout the year (funerals, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve).
· Our music groups perform in worship year-round; however, we take off many weeks of rehearsal in the summer.
· The lead pianist, in coordination with the Director of Music Ministries, is responsible for finding a substitute for rehearsals and services for which they cannot play.
· Applicants invited to interview for the position will be asked to play with a small group, as well as sight read.
· Heart for worship and a desire to inspire the spiritual growth of others
· A Bachelor's Degree in Music with an emphasis on piano and/or accompanying, or equivalent experience.
· 2+ years related experience playing for worship in a program-sized church.
Compensation is negotiable, based on experience. Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail to Soapstone UMC, Attn: Rev. Mitzi Johnson, 12837 Norwood Road, Raleigh, NC 27613. No phone calls, please.