Lake Citites Community Church
Category: Worship Leader
Time Type: Part Time
Classification Title: Worship Leader
Supervisor: Senior Pastor
The primary purpose of this position is to coordinate the Sunday worship service and other special church gatherings in consultation with the senior pastor.
By leading in worship, this position has primary responsibility for the music ministry of the church. This includes planning music, rehearsing and executing with excellence. It also may include helping to lead choir(s) or other special music efforts.
Lake Cities typically uses a praise-band, including such instruments as piano, keyboard, percussion, trumpet, guitar and string instruments. This person will be able to lead an ensemble group, working with volunteers with a wide-range of musical talents and skills.
Worship planning also includes the overall flow of the service, cohesiveness, transitions, themes and so forth in order to help God's people worship in spirit and in truth.
Essential Job Duties:
To have sound, orthodox evangelical theology, and to apply that theology in the creation of our worship experiences.
Must be gifted with excellent musical skills in voice and, preferably, also a primary instrument. Should have some knowledge of music theory, be able to read music, transpose and adjust music as needed.
Must have excellent people skills, and be able to lead a group of diverse musicians in a way that promotes unity and establishes healthy relationships.
Must have some experience with sound equipment and other technical audio visual elements.
Must be able to work joyfully with our philosophy of worship which includes:
1. A blended approach. We are committee to a mix of hymns and contemporary songs; and to also be blended in terms of the music style – not quite rock and roll, but not organ / piano only either.
2. A view of worship as a time of covenant renewal, where God's people again say "yes" to God and ask for His empowering help to live holy lives. Worship goes beyond music, and is how we live our lives as we seek to know God, to honor and obey Him.
3. A commitment to support historical elements in worship such as weekly communion, use of creeds, celebration of Advent, Ash Wednesday, Lent, Good Friday, Easter, etc.
Concerning the music elements in the service, this position:
1. Selects the music for each service. Recruits, schedules and works with vocalists, instrumentalists and others to perform during the service.
2. Holds regular rehearsals to prepare for each service, which includes participating individuals and coordinating the use of the sound system.
3. Leads the singing on Sunday as a vocalist and / or instrumentalist.
4. Assists with the written / spoken parts of the service, such as the call to worship, confessions of faith, creeds, etc.
5. Works with presentation software to make sure all is in order on Sunday.
6. Has oversight of the team managing the slides for the morning.
7. Works with AV volunteers on sound levels, mixes, lighting, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge and love for the local church.
Knowledge of biblical theology and God's Word.
Knowledge of best worship practices, old and new music, etc.
Skill as a musician – vocalist and / or instrumentalist.
Skill in effective oral and written communication.
Skill in serving people of different ages and backgrounds.
Ability to provide effective leadership – to lead people in a positive and inspiring manner.
Ability to use technology effectively and to learn new technology.
Ability to handle conflict in a biblical and timely manner.
Ability to maintain confidential information.
Associates degree and two years (or equivalent) of leading worship.
- OR -
Any equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education as approved by Church.
Religious Faith and Moral Conduct Statement:
All employees of Lake Cities Community Church must demonstrate a Christian testimony including trust in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. In addition, staff must agree with Lake Cities Community Church's Statement of Faith and Relational Covenant and exhibit morally acceptable conduct as communicated in the Bible both on and off the job.