Youth Pastor (Junior High – High School)
We are looking for a dynamic person who:
a) has a passion for leading young people to Jesus,
b) would love to join a growing church family of all ages and backgrounds
c) will enjoy working with a terrific, self-motivated team on staff, and
d) will want to experience the joys of growing with us in a long-term ministry!
Note: starting salary is $40,000/year with a potential increase after the first year.
A. To build a holistic approach in ministry between general body of the church, families, and the youth ministry.
B. Desire this candidate to have a passion for serving youth.
C. Work within the pre-existing structure of Valley Christian Church Youth program and in accordance with the overall vision of Valley Christian Church.
II. Accountability / Qualifications
A. This position is relationally accountable and reports directly to the Executive Pastor.
B. The Biblical requirements for this position must be in accordance with 1 Timothy:1-7; Titus 1:5-9, and with the Bi-Laws of Valley Christian Church of Chino.
C. The candidate will preferably have (or currently is pursuing) at least a bachelor's degree from an acceptable Christian college or university in youth ministry or a related area - (special consideration may also be made for experience in ministry) - and preferably at least five years of prior ministry experience with youth.
III. Youth Pastor Responsibilities
A. Strong emphasis on studying God's Word to build a solid foundation needed to "make disciples."
B. Teach and model a "servant's heart" which is necessary in maturing our students' faith.
C. Provide a safe atmosphere where students can build strong relationships, form community, and have fun.
D. Develop and implement opportunities for students to be evangelistic.
E. Build bridges between Children's ministry, Jr High & High School ministry through College
F. Youth Worship Service, Jr. High & High School (currently, Wednesday nights, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM and Sunday School (during 2nd service at 10:30AM)
1. Design and implement all instruction and content for both services (preaching, teaching)
3. Attendance count
4. Back-room decision counseling and follow-up
a. Follow-up on baptism, salvation, or rededication decisions.
b. Decision slip to be thoroughly completed
c. Provide encouragement to students through email, social media, or phone calls.
d. Utilize other youth staff in backroom counseling and in follow-up process.
G. Outside church activities throughout the week
1. Videotape and attend sporting events, school concerts, etc.
2. Edit videotape clips to create a 5-10 minute videos, when available.
H. Planning and implementation of scheduled events.
1. Reserve and confirm room usage through paper work, and the office manager and consider the scheduling of other church events already on the master calendar when planning youth events (i.e. Halloween party, special services, etc.).
2. Organize and conduct quarterly planning meetings.
3. Contact (via email, social media or personal phone call) all youth staff two weeks prior to meeting, reminding them of the meeting and to come prepared.
4. Prepare planned events quarterly with consideration to the scheduling of other church-wide events.
5. Distribute information (via social media, or established church methods of communication) to youth staff, youth, and parents.
6. Prepare flyers for youth events (i.e. movie nights, game nights, etc.)
a. Reference VCC, the appropriate contact person, church phone number, date, and location of event.
b. All planning and promotional items are to be reviewed by the Executive Pastor for knowledge and support and copies given to the office manager and Creative Arts Director.
7. Work with the Creative Arts Director on promotion.
I. Recruitment of volunteer youth staff
1. Pray for potential youth sponsor(s)
2. Recruit new youth sponsor(s)
3. Introduce new sponsor(s) to VCC policies, other youth sponsors, and to the students.
J. Youth Summer Camp or Conference
1. Responsible for planning & implementation of summer camp or conference
2. Responsible for setting cost of event, promotion of event, and sign up procedure.
3. Coordinate check-in, transportation, and luggage.
4. Communicate with Worship & Tech team on their needs for the camp? (If in house)
K. Junior & High School Winter Retreat
1. Set spiritual direction for the weekend, and set a theme based off of this spiritual direction.
2. Keep in constant communication with organization you are using for winter camp.
3. Provide promotion and sign-ups. Youth Sponsors must sign up!
4. Communicate with Worship & Tech team on their needs for the retreat. (If in house)
5. Arrange transportation for students, equipment, and gear.
L. Additional Responsibilities
1. Perform any additional duties as agreed upon with the Executive Pastor and Senior Pastor.