About the position...
The Accountant/Payroll Bookkeeper organizes all general accounting activities. The Bookkeeper prepares accounting and financial reports, ensures accurate accounting systems and record keeping, ensures that Foundry is kept above reproach in financial accountability, and operates with integrity. In doing so, the mission and vision of the church can always be accomplished so that more people will know, follow, and share Jesus.
About Belonging - Believing – Becoming...
Foundry exists to help people know, follow, and share Jesus. As a part of the Foundry team, you are inviting people into a deeper level of commitment to Christ and His Church. Therefore, you must be able to declare the following:
- I am willing to publicly profess my faith in Christ.
- I have been baptized.
- I am committed to growing as a follower of Jesus.
- I have read and accept what Foundry believes (Statement of Faith, Values and Mission).
- I agree to protect the unity of Foundry by learning, supporting church leadership and doing my part to stay informed and engaged in the mission of the church.
- I agree to participate in the life of Foundry in these ways: Corporate Worship, Small Groups, Serve Teams, Offering (Contributing financially to the mission), Witness (Inviting others to follow Jesus and be part of His church)
Education and Experience:
An ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or business-related field, or an Associate's degree with church accounting experience.
- 2+ years of relevant experience in full payroll and accounting cycles. Medium to large church or Non-Profit experience preferred.
- Training in General Ledger and Payroll Software such as ShelbyNext Financials, Excel and ROCK RMS, or a willingness to obtain.
- Demonstrated ability to work with an office team towards shared goals for success.
- Meet regularly with Executive Pastor to discuss financial reports and trends.
- Serve as liaison to staff as it relates to the accounting operations of the church. Research and obtain answers to accounting, expense management and budgeting.
- Maintains the general ledger and all related accounts with proper documentation and records of all church transactions; reviews entries to the general ledger to assure accuracy and compliance with the church's established accounting principles; controls all changes to chart of accounts.
- Responsible for monthly and year-end closing of the general ledger including preparation of journal entries, balance sheet account reconciliations, depreciation entries, maintaining fixed asset records.
- Responsible for maintaining the Shelby accounting system, back-up control, and printing of computer-generated reports.
- Administers preparation of interim, year-end, and comparative financial reports; performs and provides analysis of current results to prior periods and/or budget; reports to Lead and Executive Pastor the information needed for Leadership meetings.
- Prepares required government reports as directed and responds to inquiries as necessary.
- Stays current with developments, practice trends and promulgations in the accounting profession; monitors the accounting system and offers suggestions for revised financial policies and procedures specifically regarding payroll laws, nonprofit & church accounting practices.
- Manages employee expense debit cards and the review of receipts and entry of transactions. Monitors the deposits to the cards and fund requests to the bank.
- Prepares bank reconciliations for all accounts including the Preschool Program; verifies accuracy of bank statements and resolves questions or problems; maintains integrity of cash balances and cash flow systems. Maintains audit records reviewed & signed by Finance Committee Chair.
- Responsible for updating employee payroll records in Shelby, processing payroll twice per month, paying payroll taxes and maintaining payroll records/reports. Submits quarterly 941's and annual W-2's, 1099's, 10955's and Member Giving Statements.
- Manage retirement accounts and compliance to annual reporting; each payroll, verify all deductions and subsequent deposits to HSA, FSA, 401k, and 403b employee accounts.
- Assists auditor in maintaining a fixed asset record and control; posts depreciation terms/rates to apply to capitalized items as determined by auditor.
- Assists in coordination of a year-end audit/review as requested.
- Maintains other accounts and performs other accounting duties as requested.
- Other responsibilities as needed to fulfill the mission.