Mtn View Presbyterian Church
Growing in Christ – Sharing His Light
Job Description for
Director of Family Ministries
Full-time employee with benefits
The goal of the position of Director of Family Ministry is to ensure present and future generations experiences God's grace through Jesus Christ. Our hope is for our young people and young families to be led on a journey which continually strengthens and deepens their relationship with God. In order to accomplish this most faithfully and effectively, guiding principles include:
Partnership with Home and Congregation: Since a child's faith-life is most powerfully influenced by the child's closest relationships, our congregation works in partnership with the home to create faith-nurturing experiences.
Cradle to Grave: Since faith formation is a lifelong process, our congregation engages people of our church and community in ministry, which strengthens and deepens their faith from cradle to grave.
Role of the Director of Family Ministries:To assist the Pastor/Head of Staff, in overseeing the ministry of Christian education and development of programs for families,youth, and children on Sundays and throughout the week. This individual will work together with clergy and lay personnel to carry out the mission as a member of the ministry team.
Walking on water and being able to feed thousands with just a few packets of Oreos and Chicken nuggets would allow for an immediate on the spot hire!! If you can do that, then the rest of these responsibilities are a piece of cake!!
Christian education activities:
1. Develop goals and objectives for the Director of Family Ministries at all levels in accordance with the Strategic Plan (Adopted by MVPC in 2014).
2. Assess educational needs for all children and youth in setting goals for education and formation. Develop programs and activities to achieve those goals and meet identified needs.
3. Oversee, supervise, and develop educational opportunities for children, youth and their families to help them grow in their Christian faith.
4. Identify and recommend age-level curriculum resources, in conjunctions with teachers and pastors whether commercially produced or developed by pastoral staff.
5. Identify and plan for both ongoing educational programs and short-term one-time educational and/or youth and family fellowship events.
6. Recruit, train, and work with the lay teaching volunteers in coaching and strengthening their teaching abilities.
7. Develop and maintain Christian Education resources, including books videos/DVDs, and other appropriate materials.
8. Plan, oversee, and coordinate special Christian Education projects such as Vacation Bible School, mission trips, summer camps, etc.
9. Serve as an ex officio member of the Christian Education Committee.
Staff supervision and development:
1. Oversee, plan, and implement volunteer staff recruitment, training, and development.
2. Coordinate with the Vacation Bible School volunteer staff to support them in their goals, objectives, and needs.
3. Research, order, and distribute curriculum materials and other educational resources.
4. Conduct performance evaluations when appropriate, providing ongoing informal performance feedback, and reporting to the Pastor/Head of Staff regarding ministry activity and performance.
5. Recruit, train, supervise, schedule, and evaluate the Nursery Attendant(s).
1. Develop and strengthen programs and activities for families, children, and youth.
2. Develop and implement an annual calendar of activities and programs that are inclusive and promote relationship development and discipleship appropriate for families, children and youth.
3. Develop short and long-term goals and plans for the "Family Ministry."
4. Develop and manage the annual budget and other financial matters for Christian Education in consultation with the Pastor/Head if staff and Christian Education Committee.
Communicate effectively with parents, teachers, volunteers, youth, and children through personal interaction, email, texting and telephone contacts.
5. Attend conferences and participate in budgeted educational training events with the approval of the Pastor/Head of Staff and Christian Education Committee to strengthen the knowledge and skill bases in Family Ministry.
6. Work regularly with pastoral and lay staff and key volunteer leaders to integrate educational offerings and opportunities into other ministries (i.e., missions, confirmation classes, evangelism, multi-cultural outreach, etc.)
7. Schedule and maintain regular designated office hours as approved by the Pastor/Head of Staff, and attend staff meetings and other meetings as requested by the Pastor/Head of Staff.
The Director of Family Ministry interacts with the Pastor/Head of Staff (crazy, passionate about Jesus, loves to laugh Pastor!),the Christian Education Committee and its Moderator, and with youth.
email@example.com for complete job description