The Director of Student Ministries supports FBSUMC's Mission and Vision for nurturing middle school and high school students into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and for challenging them in their spiritual growth and service to others. Through our involvement with individuals and programs, we enable our student members to seek meaningful ways to be in ministry in our church and community.
The specific duties of the Director Student Ministries include, but are not limited to:
A. Provide leadership for volunteers, parents and team.
1. Student Director will regularly meet with team and supervisor.
2. Recruit and train adult and student leadership for student ministries including Sunday School, Bible Studies, and other student ministries.
3. Conduct regular meetings with Student Ministry Council and middle school and high school teachers for the purpose of planning, communication, and implementation of a well-balanced student ministry including the elements of study, fellowship, and service.
4. Coordinate all communication with volunteers, parents and team.
B. Provide Leadership for Student Ministry
1. Work with appropriate staff and leadership to implement and integrate opportunities for students in growth and serving in ministry. Develop a student ministry with continuity in mind from 6th-12th grades to provide a solid framework for life-long discipleship as a Christian.
2. Facilitate faith forming experiences (e.g. weekly ministries, retreats and conferences) for youth. Provide comprehensive planning and coordination for these activities.
3. Be available by appointment for consultations/conference with parents, students, and their leaders.
4. Purchase and provide resource material for study, worship, recreation, etc.
5. Promote and Publicize Student Ministry activities and opportunities.
6. Manage budget for student ministries, working closely with the Finance Office per policies of the church.
7. Responsible for coordinating the use of building during all student functions (security, alarms, lock down, etc.) to ensure responsible, safe ministry.
8. Support Safe Sanctuary training for all volunteers as stated in Safe Sanctuary policy.
9. Student Director will make efforts to connect with visitors at all student events and on a regular basis will follow up on less involved students.
10. Attend selected special activities in support of students by initiating or maintaining contact with church students in areas outside church (i.e. school, ballgames, home, special events.)
C. Serve as responsible team member of church staff -- duties may include but not be limited to:
1. Attend and participate in pertinent staff and administrative meetings as requested
2. Fulfill administrative duties, policies, and obligations to staff team and church leadership
3. Direct, develop and manage necessary communication efforts as it relates to the student ministry at the church
4. Participate as a cooperative team member with Pastors, staff and laity in all aspects of church life
5. Communicate with pertinent staff concerning all student ministry functions