The Lead Pastor will provide vision and spiritual direction for PassageWay Church primarily by preaching and teaching the Word of God, leading the staff, and overseeing the various ministries of the church so the body of Christ is built up and equipped to serve Him (Eph 4:11-13).
RESPONSIBILITIES and AUTHORITY:
Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and understanding of Scripture, he will:
1. Develop and_noemailmunicate a clear vision for the future of PassageWay Church in collaboration with his fellow Pastors/Elders.
2. Preach the Bible effectively in such a way as to "shepherd the flock of God under [his] care" (1 Peter 5:2) and point the lost to Christ as Lord and Savior.
3. Collaborate with the Elders and Diaconate in facilitating the ministries of the church, so all things are "done decently and in order" (1 Cor 14:40), while maintaining PassageWay Church's distinctive congregational ecclesiology of ‘Relying on God Together' (as modeled in Acts 15).
4. Lead the staff in serving Christ and His Church by routinely providing direction, guidance, counsel, and mentorship with Biblical integrity.
5. Lead and influence the work of the other pastors and church staff so the team functions in a healthy way,_noemailmunicating and collaborating together to advance the mission and vision of the church.
6. Ensure the spiritual needs of the congregation are met in cooperation with other staff and volunteer leaders (i.e. Elders and the Diaconate).
7. Officiate and preside as the primary minister of the church for weddings, funerals, hospital visitations, and counseling when available, or help facilitate someone who can minister in this way if unavailable.
8. Fully and heartily endorse the doctrinal Statement of Faith of PassageWay Church without exception on any point.
9. Fulfill all responsibilities in accordance with PassageWay Church's Articles of Constitution and Articles of Bylaws.
10. Remain accountable to the elders of the church via an annual review and ongoing regular_noemailmunication throughout the year.
1. Preaches the Word of God with a deep_noemailmitment to historical orthodox Christian theology and cultural relevance. This is done through exegetically and theologically sound sermons that are accurate within their Biblical context, including an emphasis on concrete application, to shepherd congregants from specific passages of Scripture by informing their daily walk and relationship with God.
2. Demonstrates a genuine love for people across all ages and demographics, with a special emphasis on ministering to, attracting, and retaining youth and young families as the church continues to grow.
3. Communicates well in writing and in speech, both publicly and privately, in such a way as to be ‘wise in conduct and speech toward outsiders' (Col. 4:4-5) and gracious in speech and conduct (Eph. 4:29), so as to draw people to Christ winsomely. This means avoiding political rants, social media tirades, or overtly aligning the church with or endorsing any one political party (Ps. 118:9, 146:3, Jer. 17:5, 7, Heb. 11:9-16, Rom. 13).
4. Leads persuasively, builds teams, and coaches effectively to produce well-rounded, temperate, respectful, mature disciples of Christ (Eph. 4:12-13, Tit. 2:2).
5. Displays a heart for missions and a desire to reach and celebrate peoples of all backgrounds and cultures (Matt. 28:18-20, Rev. 5:9, 13:7).
6. Has a heart for the lost and shows an ability to be relational and interact with all people regardless of where they are in their walk with Christ, rich or poor, prestigious or humble (Rom. 15:1, James 2:2-4).
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS and ACCOUNTABILITY:
Candidates for the Lead Pastor of PassageWay Church will be selected for r_noemailmendation by the elder team after a rigorous screening process which PassageWay Church requires of all lay or vocational church elders, and will require a 75% approval vote by the Congregation. He will lead the church under the authority of Christ and the Holy Scriptures, working with the Elders, Deacons, and Congregation on the budget, policies, and overall direction of the church, while lovingly leading the other pastors and staff in a collegial and humbly collaborative spirit.