PASTOR – DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Mt. Zion Methodist Church Pastor are to preach the word of God, lead in worship, teach the Scriptures, and engage the people in study and witness. It is expected that the Pastor will:
1. Lead the people in discipleship and evangelistic outreach that others might come to know and follow Christ. Assist church leaders in developing a vision for our church.
2. Counsel people with personal, ethical or spiritual struggles.
3. Perform premarital counseling as well as the traditional marriage ceremony itself.
4. Conduct funeral and memorial services and provide care and grief counseling.
5. Visit the homes of church members, especially the sick, shut-ins, those in the hospital, as well as prospective members.
6. Maintain all confidences except in the cases of suspected child abuse or neglect, which should be reported to the proper authorities.
7. Prepare and deliver sermons for all services, unless on approved time off.
8. Assist in the implementation of programs and events in alignment with the church's mission and vision.
9. Administer the rights of baptism. When individuals baptized in infancy/childhood desire to make their profession of faith, deliver instruction so that they might become professing members of the church.
10. Administer the sacraments of the Lord's Supper. Explain the meaning of the Lord's Supper and encourage regular participation as a means of grace to grow in faith and holiness.
11. Give pastoral support, guidance and training to the lay leadership, equipping them to fulfill the ministry to which they are called.
12. Give account of their pastoral ministries to the Pastor-Parrish Relations Committee.
13. Maintain regular office hours as coordinated with the Pastor-Parrish Relations Committee.
14. Participate in all church activities and services. This includes but not limited to:
a. Sunday/Wednesday Evening worship services and programs
c. All church meetings
d. Encourage participation in the local ministerial association.
15. Be a good representative of Mt. Zion Methodist Church on all personal and professional levels.
16. Demonstrate proper written, verbal and electronic communication skills.
17. Be visible in the community and help promote Mt. Zion Methodist Church.
18. Assume other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary by the Pastor-Parish Relations Committee.