Hempfield Church of Christ is looking for a God-called Christian pastor who can lead our church into the future with conviction, vision, and humility. An ideal candidate has experience leading other churches of our size, demographic makeup, and theological commitments. This candidate will also be an engaging, biblically faithful teacher who can relate to people of different ethnic, socio-economic, and generational backgrounds.
Serve as the spiritual leader of the church in cooperation with the elders to ensure accountability in ministry, doctrinal teaching, and moral living.
Foster a culture of worship and prayer in the congregation.
Encourage and equip the congregation for service and ministry.
Work with the Worship Leaders to plan and organize the worship services of the church.
Work with elders to provide overall vision for the direction of the congregation.
Assist in developing and implementing new ministries consistent with our mission and vision.
Operate as the church's primary minster, participating in the Bible teaching ministries, and preaching at most worship services.
Serve as the overseer for the church staff and office personnel. Mentor and disciple them to train them, and help them grow in their ministry
Conduct weddings and funerals as needed.
Spend an appropriate amount of time in planning, study, and prayer in preparation for teaching opportunities.
Serve as a leader by example in personal discipleship, stewardship, and evangelism.
Attend all meetings with the church's operating board and elders to report on planned initiatives and progress on previously planned actions.
Develop relationships with other churches and organizations in our community. Assist in planning outreach events to connect with families in the local community.
Provide biblically based counseling as needed.
Ensure ongoing pastoral care ministry to hospitalized, homebound and nursing home church members.
Maintain regular office hours, devoting a minimum of 40 hrs weekly to the ministry.
Prayerfully work toward consensus in all decisions within the staff or eldership and fully support all final decisions.
Maintain confidentiality in all situations as required.
Stay current with ministry practices
Meet the requirements as outlined in the Constitution of the Hempfield Church of Christ (attached)
Bachelor's degree in ministry preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Previous pastoral ministry experience.
Significant experience in, and a demonstrated disposition toward leadership.
Understanding of and willingness to minister within the church's statement of beliefs.
A lifestyle congruent with the biblical requirements for leaders (1Tim. 3:1-13; 2Tim. 2;Titus 1:5-9).
A passion for shepherding a congregation, and for reaching the lost.
Article VIII The Ministry
1. The minister shall be a member of the Church of Christ or Christian Church (nondenominational) and must believe, without reservation, in the full and final inspiration of the Bible to the extent that it is to him the infallible Word of God and, therefore, the all-sufficient rule of faith and practice; he must believe unreservedly in the deity and supreme authority of Jesus Christ.
2. The minister must be well studied in the Word of God. He must be apt to preach and teach.
3. His personal life and reputation must be exemplary and beyond reproach.
4. If married, his wife must be a member of the Church of Christ or Christian Church (nondenominational).
5. The minister shall not be a divorced man since his conversion.
B. Duties and Rights
1. It shall be the duty of the minister ever to have at heart the welfare of the congregation in every respect. He shall be charged to guide and promote the work of the church. He shall conduct services regularly. He shall, so far as his time permits, endeavor to visit nonmembers and minister especially to the sick and distressed.
A. The ministerís duties shall consist of, but are not limited to:
Personal devotion and spiritual preparation necessary for maintaining a consistent Christian witness.
The winning of souls to Christ.
(1) Pastoral responsibilities, i.e., visiting the sick, visiting and caring for the congregation in all of their needs and problems.
(2) Teaching, preaching and leading in the worship and evangelistic services of the church.
(3) Planning, promoting and administering the spiritual program of the church.
(4) Coordinating all ministries of the church into one effective plan for spiritual advancement.
(5) Supervising the church office.
(6) Representing the church at community social functions and interchurch meetings or movements unless to do so would contradict New Testament principles.
2. The minister shall serve ex officio as a nonvoting member of the Church Board and all functional ministries and committees.
3. Any associate ministers, as defined herein, shall be subject to the supervision of the minister in cooperation with the elders.
The minister shall enter into a yearly contract (effective January 1 through December 31) with the Church Board, stipulating salary, allowances, vacation and other conditions.