Student Ministries Director
Accountable To: Senior Pastor
Exempt Status: Exempt
Position Status: Full time position with benefits
Date: Reviewed and updated in February 2022
The Student Ministries Director (SMD) will lead the development, coordination and execution of an effective and comprehensive ministry to students and young adults consistent with the mission of St. John to connect our neighbors to true riches in Jesus.
1. Develop and implement meaningful, creative, engaging, and high-quality programs for:
1. Middle School students (5th-8th grades)
2. High school students (9th-12th grades)
3. Young adults (high school graduates through beginning of parenthood).
4. Annual youth mission trip (or trip to National Youth Gathering)
2. Recruit, train, supervise, encourage, and evaluate volunteers for teaching, support and leadership roles in student ministry programs.
3. Select and prepare curriculum, teaching resources, media, and supplies.
4. Lead retreats, lock-ins and other events that integrate spiritual growth with fun and fellowship.
1. Counsel students and parents who need guidance.
2. Evangelize by encouraging students to invite friends to events
3. Be available at predictable and posted hours during the week for teenagers and other members of the congregation
4. Involve youth members in worship and other congregation activities
5. Support the Confirmation program fulfilling roles including but not limited to: teaching, fellowship events and a general positive presence.
6. The SMD will communicate effectively and quickly with all pastors when the SMD believes there is a student or a student's family that needs pastoral care – unless confidentiality policy forbids.
7. Develop fundraising opportunities for students going on the annual mission (or NYG) trip that tap primarily external sources of funds.
8. Attend weekly staff meetings. Failure to attend will be counted as a vacation or sick day.
9. Keep background checks and other safety policies and procedures accurate and up to date.
10. Participate in an annual Self-Assessment and Performance Review
11. Prepare an annual budget request.