The Communications Director leads the creative communications
process, including brand strategy, marketing, film, social media, content management,
communication environments, and overall brand experience. They are committed to developing
an empowered and innovative creative culture by cultivating leaders who focus on the church's
mission and vision.
Employee Classification: Full-time
Report to: Minister of Music
1. Proactively develop strategies to clarify and communicate the weekly messaging of
the church in partnership with leadership and ministry leaders.
2. Serves as an air traffic controller to organize and plan all communications messages.
Ensure messages are conveyed promptly.
3. Serve as the "eyes" for all things print and electronic, looking for clear
communication, brand presence, and consistency.
4. Develop systems to organize, prioritize, and communicate promotional items related
5. Oversee the timely development and execution of vision, campaigns, and initiatives
to ensure that goals are achieved.
6. Responsible for maintaining and updating the church website regularly.
7. Responsible for composing, editing, printing, review process, and all preparation of
the Sunday bulletin.
8. Responsible for composing, editing, review process, and all preparation of church-
wide weekly email.
9. Compose and/or edit church-wide or specific ministry communications for all
ministry areas as requested by ministerial staff.
10. Keeps ears open to stories of life change within the church. Develop ways to
communicate those stories via video, interviews, etc. creatively.
11. Work directly with Senior Pastor to develop and promote print, digital, and social
media material weekly.
12. Stay current on creative, communications, and technological trends and look for
opportunities to use this information to communicate more effectively with the
community and church family.
Digital Communication and Social Media
13. Lead all efforts related to the creation, strategy, and execution of FBCMJ digital
14. Creatively build followings on various social media outlets, including but not limited
to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
15. Compose and post daily social media posts.
16. Evaluate and create strategies to keep social media content fresh and engaging.
17. Proactively work to ensure FBCMJ maintains an effective presence on the internet
including style/presence, search engines, and updated technology.
18. If instituted, take the lead in all aspects of a church newsletter.
19. Be available to consult with church leadership and provide expertise as requested.
20. Create positive relationships with local and national media.
21. Oversee efforts related to securing or responding to media attention.
Design and Brand Management
22. Network with contract, volunteer artists, and ministry team to develop graphic
23. Monitor the look, vibe, and feel of all promotional materials representing FBCMJ.
24. Police the use of logos and images that represent FBCMJ.
25. Enlist, equip, and encourage qualified volunteer teams and interns to accomplish
26. Educate staff and ministry leaders about procedures and processes for communicating
church messages. Meet them where they are in their level of understanding and help
them know what we do and why we do it and how they can contribute to the overall
effectiveness of church communications.
27. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or leadership.
28. Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) from a four-year college or university with a degree in art,
graphic design, marketing, or communications is preferred.