New Life Presbyterian Church is seeking a part-time position. This will be a wonderful opportunity for the right candidate. New Life is associated with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (https://epc.org/) and is located in Salem, Virginia. Salem is home to Roanoke College and nearby is Hollins University and Virginia Western Community College. New Life is nestled at the foot of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains in central southwest Virginia and is 40 minutes to Virginia Tech, 60 minutes to Lynchburg and two and on half hours to the state capital of Richmond.
New Life will collaborate with you in adjusting this job description and setting the hours. However, from past experience with this job, we believe that it requires approximately 15-20 hours per week.
Spiritual and Personal Qualifications:
1. Must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
2. Must read music.
3. Must play the piano confidently and professionally.
4. Has the ability to relate well and work with children, adults, and the elderly.
5. Is willing to play/direct music from a variety of genres to create a blended style of worship.
6. Must be self-disciplined, self-motivated, hard-working, practice at home or at church (within the weekly hours) to be prepared for Wednesday practice and Sunday service.
Areas of Responsibility WORSHIP
1. In cooperation with the Pastor and in communication with the Worship Committee, plan and implement all worship services including all special services as directed by the pastor (Communion, Lent, Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Easter, Mother's Day, Pentecost, Father's Day, Advent, Christmas Eve).
2. Communicate with the Pastor regarding the order of worship, special music, schedule, and any other Music and Worship matters for the weekly bulletins.
3. Work with and communicate to the Worship Committee about any special decorations needed for music worship services.
1. Schedule musicians for all services.
2. Recruit, train and schedule all praise team singers for worship services.
3. Schedule and lead praise team rehearsals.
4. Prepare all praise team music each week and distribute music to musicians and singers in a timely manner for their preparation.
5. In cooperation with the pastor, choose the hymns and songs for all worship services.
6. Serve as a "Music Librarian" for the church – purchase, file, catalogue, and supervise the lending out of all church music.
7. In cooperation with the Worship Committee, schedule and coordinate the ministry of music. Recommend the tuning, maintenance, replacement, and/or purchase of new musical instruments.
9. Maintain our subscriptions to any and all licensing entities authorizing us to legally use other published materials.
10. Direct the adult choir; rehearsal every Wednesday fall through early to mid-summer; select music; schedule; plan cantatas and other special musical presentations.
11. In cooperation with the Worship Committee, prepare a music and worship budget each year for presentation to Session.
1. The Director of Music and Worship shall work under the supervision of the Pastor, in cooperation with the Worship Committee, with ultimate accountability to the Worship Committee and church Session.
2. The Director of Music and Worship shall meet regularly with the Pastor for planning and prayer.
3. The Director of Music and Worship shall meet with the Personnel Committee for a performance review after three months, then six months, and one year. After that first year, annual performance reviews will be done through the Pastor and the Personnel Committee.
4. The Director of Music and Worship is expected to be at church on Sunday mornings. Flexibility will be given, in communication with the Pastor, regarding time off and being away.
Posting: Nov, 2023-2024
New Life Church Seeks Part Time Director of Music and Worship
New Life Presbyterian Church, EPC, 101 Keeling Avenue, Salem, Virginia 24153 540-387-1311
Contact: Mary Loritsch, New Life Personnel chair, email@example.com